Friday, November 26, 2010

Blessings Banner

Today, I am especially mindful of the abundant blessings I have in my life and the wonderful friends and family that have shared their lives with me. I want to thank my blogging friends, too. I really appreciate the time you take out of your busy lives to visit me here on my blog and for all of the kind words you leave in my comment box. Your comments are always appreciated.

Here's a little something I made yesterday. . . It's a Thanksgiving BANNER.

On Thanksgiving morning I woke up really early and all was quiet around the house. . . So. . . I quietly tiptoed downstairs to my sewing room hoping no one would find me for a few hours so I could focus on a few projects.

I was thinking, "What should I be working on today? I only have a short window of time before the final preparations begin. So, I better decide now and get working."



Well, as I was sitting there thinking I got side tracked from my multiple existing projects and decided to start a new project that's been brewing in the back of my head.

Here's the argument that went on in my head . . .

First off, I thought, "You've got to be crazy starting something new."

Then I thought,

"I can whip this out, it won't take long."

"You really need to do this, it's going to be really cute."




"But, I don't have time. . ."

"You can do this. . . you know you want to."



So, I got out my measuring tape and measured the mantel over my fire place and then pulled out my civil war prints and started picking out some of my favorite fabrics.


I decided on the word "Blessings" and figured out the math. You should've seen the frenzy. It's really satisfying for me to create something in my head and then create it. It's really a bonus to see that what you've made matches the vision in your head. It took me a total of 2.5 hours from thought to finish.


I will be posting a tutorial for this banner and the other one's I have floating around in my head sometime in the New Year. I will definitely let you know when I post it.

28 comments:

Tonia said...

That is awesome!! How rewarding to see your thought brought to life in such a short time!!!

Lori said...

Beautiful! I will look forward to the tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

Yarn Devil said...

It's beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!! Looks great on your mantel!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That is great Kim! It would look so nice on my mantle too!

Jocelyn said...

Love it Kim. What a great focal point for your mantel!

Mary said...

Kim,
That turned out so nice! I like the rounded shape also. It is really fun to creat your own things.

Susan said...

Oh Kim, I absolutely LOVE it! What a great idea...I can see a banner done up in different colors with different words for all the holidays and seasons too.

Diane said...

What fun! And, don't you just love those quiet moments before the house fully comes to life?

Material Mary said...

Kim, what a darling project you have created. Just love it. Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving and the weekend lovliness to you!!
Mary

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

This turned out great. Love it!!! Can't wait to see the tutorial. Love & blessings from NC!

Thimbleanna said...

That's adorable Kim! I can't believe you started that at the last minute -- was it the fumes from the turkey that got to you LOL???

Eileen said...

I love that, I want to make one for Christmas! You know I think you're amazing!!!

Karen said...

I am glad you went with the flow of creativity going through your mind. You ended up with a very nice looking banner.

Quilthaze said...

This is lovely and you made it up so quickly! I can see it adapted for Christmas too.

onlymehere said...

Very cute Kim! Sometimes I think we need a kind of brain break from what we should be doing to get our creative juices flowing again! I think this banner fit the ticket for you and it's so darn cute!

Quilt Doodles said...

Oh how adorable! I want to make one for Christmas! I think my sister would really like it to. Can't wait to see the tutorial! Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays! :)

Karen said...

What a great banner!

Tracy said...

This is beautiful.
WOW only 2.5 hours, this would take me 2.5 weeks, teehee.

Sherri said...

Kim, I love it! Can't believe you did this before preparing everything for Thanksgiving dinner!

Crystal Hendrix said...

can't wait until you post the tutorials! That is a very pretty banner! Very pretty!! I think I am going to have to make one!!!

Scarlet said...

I'm going to hold you to your word! Can't wait for the tutorial! This is a definite on my "to do" list! Awesome!

Nanette Merrill said...

It is darling. It turned out perfect. It really looks great there at the fireplace.

Anita said...

Well I am so glad you got sidetracked into making that - it's lovely!!!

em's scrapbag said...

I'm so glad you did this. It looks great! It was so nice to meet you today. Thank you for the cute little purse.

Micki said...

That is such a neat banner!
Micki

Liz said...

Beautiful. AND a great math problem for my students to figure out. Thanks for the idea.

C said...

I love all things bunting! Great job!

Kim Walus said...

Here's the link to the tutorial on Moda's Bakeshop.
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/01/hugs-kisses-valentine-banner.html